The Appeal of the Ironic Novelty Purse
When I'm selecting a new purse, I try to invest in versatile and classic pieces. But the serious handbag collector in me frequently clashes with the side of me that appreciates the zanier impulses of the fashion industry. Given my penchant for the surreal, it's no surprise that the Mickey Mouse head handbag from Gucci's Spring 2019 collection caught my eye. The questions this bag raises are alarming: did someone decapitate Mickey Mouse? Is there a deeper meaning here? Is fashion over now? And most importantly, do I kind of actually want this bag?!
When asked to explain himself, Gucci's creative director Alessandro Michele claimed that with the collection, “I am reconnecting culture and popular culture.” It's easy to laugh at the designer who puts out a Mickey Mouse head purse into the world and calls it art, but Michele actually managed to sum up why I am so drawn to so-called novelty fashion items. Yes, they are silly, but they also often make a deeper statement about the world we live in. In this case the...
The last Posts from "Purse"
- Louis Vuitton's Incredibly Popular Saintogne Bag Now Comes in Monogram Empreinte
- The 10 Best Bag Deals for the Weekend of March 22
- Celebs Opt for Eclectic Picks from Medea, Frame and Hayward Luxury
- I've Got My Eye On a Lavender Bag
- Is Saint Laurent Finally Moving Away From Its Obsession With Logo Hardware?
- A Close Look at Daniel Lee's First Bags for Bottega Veneta
- Celebs Enjoy Ideal Lighting with Bags from Fendi, Louis Vuitton and Saint Laurent
- Love It or Leave It: the Return of the Hobo
- The Iconic Purple Sequin Fendi Baguette is Available For Pre-Order
- A Close Look At The Already Sold Out Louis Vuitton Lipstick Case
- PurseBlog Asks: What's Your “It” Bag?
- The Ten Best Designer Bags Under $1,000, Spring 2019 Edition
- The Many Bags of Jenna Dewan
- Ten Bags That You'll Love for Wedding Season
- The 10 Best Bag Deals for the Weekend of March 15
- Celebs Get Glam with Bags from Valentino, Balenciaga and Edie Parker
- Celebrity Purse Lines: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- These Green Bags Will Have You Feeling Lucky on St Patrick's Day
- Why I'll Never Let Someone Buy a Bag for Me
- Louis Vuitton's Wildly Popular NéoNoé Now Comes in a Mini Version
The headlines of Very International People
An Inspector Calls. A review of Dormy House in the Cotswolds
The Inspector checked into Dormy House near Broadway in the northern reaches of the Cotswolds. The best part of his stay, he writes, was leaving the hotel for a long, bracing...
What people really think about sibling names that start with the same letter
No-one wants to look like they're trying to be the next Kardshians/Jenners.
5 ways to style up the classic denim jacket
Gallery: Miu Miu's Spring/Summer 2019 launch party
Korean star Krystal Jung , Hong Kong style icon Hilary Tsui , Angela Yuen , Karena Ng , Hilary Fan , Ashley Lam , Elly Lam and many more were spotted at Miu Miu 's celebration...
Women, it's time to stop being scared of a haircut
OPINION: All women have a fantasy hairdo but most are too afraid to try it. And that's a shame.
At 111, Henry Tseng was proof that exercise can lead to long life
"The older you are, the more you need exercise," said Henry Tseng who was the oldest man in the US.
Emporio Armani's Logomania: Arjun Kapoor's rules of style and new SS19 capsule
As we officially break into Spring-Summer 2019, the indulgence of all matters sartorial shuffle-up to accomodate lightweight clothing that are all about comfort. And as a...
Best Dressed: From Alia to Deepika, stars who stole the show at Filmfare...
The 64th annual Filmfare Awards were held on Sunday in Mumbai and were packed with some of the biggest names from Bollywood. The award ceremony not only celebrates the best...
These 6 boutique hotels in Ipoh are your reasons to stay longer in limestone...
Ipoh is a wonderful travel destination worthy of at least a night's stay. For too long, people have been making Ipoh a stop along the way and not a destination on its own. Now...
We taste test peanut butter flavoured Marmite
Marmite is releasing a new peanut butter flavour in the UK - we made our own.