The Appeal of the Ironic Novelty Purse
When I'm selecting a new purse, I try to invest in versatile and classic pieces. But the serious handbag collector in me frequently clashes with the side of me that appreciates the zanier impulses of the fashion industry. Given my penchant for the surreal, it's no surprise that the Mickey Mouse head handbag from Gucci's Spring 2019 collection caught my eye. The questions this bag raises are alarming: did someone decapitate Mickey Mouse? Is there a deeper meaning here? Is fashion over now? And most importantly, do I kind of actually want this bag?!
When asked to explain himself, Gucci's creative director Alessandro Michele claimed that with the collection, “I am reconnecting culture and popular culture.” It's easy to laugh at the designer who puts out a Mickey Mouse head purse into the world and calls it art, but Michele actually managed to sum up why I am so drawn to so-called novelty fashion items. Yes, they are silly, but they also often make a deeper statement about the world we live in. In this case the...
The last Posts from "Purse"
- The 10 Best Bag Deals for the Weekend of June 14
- Celebs Make Faces with Bags from Chanel, Judith Leiber and Frame
- Love It or Leave It: The Louis Vuitton Grenelle PM
- The 10 Best Weekender Bags for Summer 2019
- All the Bags From Chloé's First Ever Resort Runway Show
- I'm Late to the Phoebe Philo Party.But I'm Here Now!
- Celebs Try to Dodge the Paps with Hermès, Off-White and Saint Laurent
- Can the Hermès Kelly Surpass the Birkin in Popularity?
- We Searched High and Low for the Very Best Looks for Less
- Would You Splurge on a Lesser Known Bag Brand?
- Celebs Contemplate Sudden Career Changes with Bags from Chanel and Dior
- Make a Statement This Summer With These Elevated Bags
- The 12 Best Bag Deals for the Weekend of June 7
- Introducing Artycapucines By Louis Vuitton
- CC 35: A CFO and Her $140,000 Hermès Collection
- Celebs Flaunt Their Fendi, Burberry and Hermès
- Chanel's Ancient Egypt-Inspired Métiers d'Art 2019 Bags Are Now in Boutiques
- The Clash of the “C” Bags.Chloé vs. Céline
- Celebs Swarm the Veuve Cliquot Polo Classic with Bags from Jacquemus, Parisa Wang and Mehry Mu
- Your First Look at Gucci's Resort 2020 Bags
The headlines of Very International People
DadsDoHairToo Shares Adorable Scenes Of Dads Doing Their Daughters' Hair
These dads take hairstyling seriously, and it shows.
‘There Is So Much More Devastation Than Most People Realize': 4 Women On...
This past spring, as temperatures and water levels rose, extreme flooding hit communities in central and eastern Canada hard. As water levels hit record highs-and...
Must Read: Carine Roitfeld Stages First CR Runway Show, Taylor Swift...
These are the stories making headlines in fashion on Friday. Carine Roitfeld stages first CR Runway show at Pitti UomoCarine Roitfeld and LuisaViaRoma presented a fashion show...
British Airways staffs ENTIRE flight with dads and their sons and daughters...
The flight, from Heathrow to San Diego in California, departed with help from father and daughter and father and son teams working across the airline's operation.
Maya Erskine on ‘PEN15' Season 2 & Countering Asian-American Stereotypes in...
A couple years before she started writing PEN15, Maya Erskine read the script for a rom com called Plus One. The film had already been cast, but its creators-Erskine's New York...
Jill Roberts Is Hiring A Retail / Wholesale Office Assistant In Los Angeles
Contemporary Women's Apparel Retail/Wholesale Company seeks Office Assistant to aid in all back office functions of our thriving business. We operate in a fast paced and...
Inside Disneyland's new Star Wars Galaxy's Edge theme park
Galaxy's Edge is the new £770million 14-acre Star Wars tribute at Disneyland California. The Daily Mail's Tamara Hinson ventured inside to find out if it lives up to the hype.
Samantha Hayes shares her heartache after visiting a refugee camp in Jordan
Presenter of Newshub Live at 6pm on Three anchor Samantha Hayes visited a refugee camp in Jordan to speak to those affected.
Pat Gallagher never expected to be a single dad - then a gunman in the US...
A gunman in the US took Pat Gallagher's wife from him. Adjusting to life as a single father has been a major challenge.
Taranaki 'Feastival' organisers already planning next year's event
A 10-day Taranaki festival that celebrates all things food and liquor has come to an end - and it'll be back.